November 21, 2017

FAQ’s Singapore

Q. What are the entry requirements to study at educational institutions in Singapore?
A. Entry requirements vary from institution to institution. As English is the common language of instruction, most institutions require students to meet a minimum standard of English. Generally, certification of competence in English is in the form of:

  • General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
  • Test of English As a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Besides English, different institutions and courses have different minimum requirements. These requirements are usually stated in the course prospectus, brochures or websites of the institutions.

Q. How do I apply to study in Singapore?
A. Application procedures are dependent on the type of institutions the students are applying to.

Q. What is the difference between private and public Institutions?
A. Public Schools – In Singapore, there are 11 gazetted public holidays and three scheduled school holidays in a calendar year.

PRIVATE SCHOOL: There are various types of private schools in Singapore. Private schools are generally run by private companies or non-profit organisations. There are also some private institutions that receive public funds, eg. NAFA (The Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts), SMU (Singapore Management University) and LASALLE-SIA college of the Arts.

Q. Do I need a Visa and Student’s Pass to study in Singapore?
A. Any international student wishing to study full-time in Singapore is required to apply for a Student’s Pass and visa (if applicable) from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). For applicants who require a visa to enter Singapore, please ensure that your application for the Student Pass is submitted to the ICA at least 2 months before the commencement date of the course.

Q. How much are the school or tution fees?
A. Fees vary according to type of course and type of school (private or public). For course fees of private schools, please check directly with the institutions .

JUNIOR COLLEGE: $240 per month(excluding other charges e.g. miscellaneous fees)

POLYTECHNIC: $2,150 per academic year(excluding other charges e.g. exam fees, miscellaneous fees, sports fee, student union fee, etc)

UNIVERSITY: From $6,220 per academic year for non-lab based courses to $17,820 per academic year for medical / dental courses (excluding other charges e.g. exam fees, miscellaneous fees, sports fees, student union fees, etc)

Q. How do I submit the Student’s Pass application via the SOLAR system?
A. The applicant will have to log on to the SOLAR system from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority website with your assigned SOLAR application number obtainable from your respective Institute of Higher Learning and your personal particulars. Once you have logged on to the system, you may proceed to complete the Student’s Pass application form (Form 16) and submit the application online to ICA for processing.

Q. Are there any special support services for international students?
A. Educational institutions generally provide special support services for international students. Some even have an International Students Office to cater to your specific needs. Assistance rendered range from helping you look for accommodation to advice on financial, social and other matters. Please approach your school’s Student Services or International Students Office for more information.

Q. What is the processing time for applications submitted through SOLAR?
A. Student’s Pass applications submitted via SOLAR are processed in 3 working days for foreigners who do not required visa to enter Singapore. For foreigners who require a visa to enter Singapore, the processing time is 10 working days. Some applications may take a longer time to process.

Q. Must my medical examination be done in Singapore?
A. If you are a new applicant and not in Singapore, the medical examination can either be done in your home country or in Singapore by a qualified doctor. However, the medical examination required for subsequent renewal of the Student’s Pass must be done in Singapore. The doctor must record and certify the results of the medical examination in the designated medical report form. The medical report should not be issued more than 3 months from the submission date of your application or renewal. If a medical report was submitted to ICA or MOM not more than 2 years from your submission date, there is no need to re-submit a fresh medical report. (The above requirement is not applicable to applicants who are below 15 years old.)

Q. How do I collect my Student’s Pass?
A. Upon the approval of your Student’s Pass application, you will receive an In-Principle Approval letter through your respective Institute of Higher Learning. After you have arrived in Singapore, you may then arrange to collect your Student’s Pass in person or through your respective Institute of Higher Learning at the Visitor Services Centre, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority. To collect the Student’s Pass, you need to produce the In-Principle Approval letter, your original travel document showing you have valid stay in Singapore, the white Embarkation/Disembarkation card (which you will complete on arrival in Singapore), results of your medical examination certified in the designated medical report together with the laboratory report, Student’s Pass and visa fee as well as a hard copy of your electronic Student’s Pass application Form 16 duly signed by you. Your Student’s Pass will be issued if the conditions as stipulated in the In-Principal Approval letter are fulfilled.